Sunday 29 March 2015

Happy Easter Bunting

Happy Easter!! Well nearly...



I thought on this dull Sunday afternoon you might like an explosion of colour to brighten your day. 


Really getting into the whole Easter decorations thing this year. I can't wait for the Easter bunny to visit either. We are all rather excited about the excuse to consume enormous amounts of Easter treats.  I can't get enough of bunnies, daffodils, bunting, Easter wreaths, decorated eggs and wonderful rainbows of colours everywhere I go. Think that with the changing of the clocks and the starting of British Summertime and the lack of any sun around here AND the miserable windy rainy day we are having today splashing colour around my home seems like a great idea. 




I have even created my first ever mini crochet tutorial for my Happy Easter Bunting!! It is really easy peasy so hopefully easy to follow.


I used a 4mm hook and scraps of Drops Love You 5 and Drops Paris both 100% cotton yarn in Aran weight to create my bunting. It is an easy peasy pattern and therefore I think any DK or Aran weight yarn will do fine, scraps are perfect and spring colours make it even cheerier.  Each triangle measures 10cm from the top corner to corner.

***If you would like to have a go at making some of my Happy Easter Bunting please please write me a comment in the box below and tell me how you got on and pop over to my Facebook page and if you like what you see hit the like button. My pattern is free for you to use and I would really appreciate some feed back. If you have any trouble or would like to ask a question feel free and I will try my best to answer it. Happy Hooking***

My pattern is written in UK crochet terms.

Abbreviations: 
st(s): stitch(es)
sl: slip
ch: chain
dc: double crochet
htr: half treble crochet
tr: treble crochet

To start:

ch 4, join with a sl st to for a ring.

Round 1: working out of the center of the ring.

ch 3 (counts as 1 tr), tr into ring 11 times, join with a sl st to the 3rd ch of the initial 3ch to close the round. (12 st in round)

Round 2: working out of the spaces between the treble crochet stitches of the previous round.

join with new colour by pulling a loop through with hook and ch 3 (counts as 1tr), tr in same space, in each space that follows create 2tr clusters. (24 st in round)

Round 3: Working out of the spaces between each 2tr cluster of the previous round.

join with new colour and ch 3 (counts as 1tr), 2tr in same space, in each space that follows create 3tr clusters. (36 st in round)

Round 4: working in the st at the top of each tr rather than in the spaces this time, except for the 3 corner spaces where you work into the space.

To make a corner space join into a space between two 3tr clusters with new colour and ch 4 (counts as 1 htr and 2ch corner), htr x2 in same space, *htr into next st along, dc into next 9 sts, htr into next stitch, htr x2 into next corner space, ch 2, htr x2 into same space* repeat ** 1 more time. htr into next st, dc into next 9 sts, htr into next st, htr into next corner space and finish off by joining with sl st into the 2nd ch of initial ch2 and fasten off. (66 sts in round)

You should now have a happy little bunting triangle!! :0)


To join bunting triangles together: There are many ways to do this including threading a ribbon through the corner holes at the top of each triangle. If you would like to crochet these together with a chain stitch like I did here's how to do it...


To start; join yarn into the corner space of one of the triangles, right side facing you. 2x dc in same space, dc into each stitch until you come to another corner space then 2dc into the corner space, chain 4 as a spacer between the triangles (this can of course be more or less chain stitches to suit you), 2dc into the corner space of the next triangle and carry on this way until you have a line of bunting.


My bunting was roughly 98cm long.


Hope you enjoyed your visit today! Look forward to seeing you soon,

Sarah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment